- Interpretation & Translation
- French translation
- French translator
- court documents
- court reports
- Wills & Probate
- property deeds
- medical intrepreting
- Immigration Law
- company reports
- language consultancy
- language services
I have been working as a professional translator and interpreter since 2008 and offer a wide range of services through Give Me Your Word Ltd.
Early in my career, I was given the opportunity to collaborate with a property developer for 6 months, interpreting for the Finance Director at meetings with solicitors, banks and architects and translating contracts and property deeds. As a result, I developed a keen interest in legal translation. I went on to complete the Chartered Institute of Linguists' DPSI (Diploma in Public Service Interpreting) in law, which opened the door to assignments with the UK Border Agency, police and courts.
I have been working with one of my main clients, an immigration law firm based in Manchester since 2009.
I have always been interested in medical interpreting, and work for the Manchester mental health interpreter service and the Central Manchester CCG, both in the community and hospitals. I recently translated a 22,000-word report on breast cancer screening.
In addition to legal and medical interpreting and translation, I provide services to corporate clients in a variety of contexts, such as business meetings and site visits. I also work with high-profile athletes and their families in a range of settings, including television shoots, home visits, meetings with solicitors and medical appointments.
Through my professional network I can connect you with services in many languages.
I collaborate only with fully qualified linguists who are accredited by professional bodies such as the Chartered Institute of Linguists and the Institute of Translation and Interpreting.
Legal translation & interpreting
I am experienced in interpreting in the following settings:
Court hearings (criminal, civil, family)
Tribunals (Asylum and Immigration, Social Security, Mental Health Review Tribunals)
Conferences with barristers
I translate a wide range of legal documents, including:
Grants of probate
Civil status certificates (birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates)
Criminal record checks
Give Me Your Word Ltd.
Owner1 - 5 Employees 2012 - Current
Interpreting and translation services: Interpreting has included consecutive interpreting for public services, as well as business interpreting. Translation has included contracts, legal evidence, marketing material, asylum-related documents, newspaper articles, certificates, bank correspondence, social services reports, letters, websites, company presentations, European Union documents, included audio-visual work.
CIOL: Terms and Conditions for Translators (Sept 2017)
NWTN: Trados beginners training session (June 2017), Proofreading training session (March 2017)
Freelance French translator and interpreter
Sole trader1 - 5 Employees 2008 - 2012
Translation and interpreting as current position.
- Freedom from Torture quarterly interpreter meetings
- Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust interpreter training workshop (Aug 2009).
- Refugee Action induction training for interpreters (Sept 2009).
- Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit training event on interpreting for the Home Office/UK Border Agency (Sept 2009).
- Manchester City Council training in code of practice for interpreters (Oct 2009).
Participated in training sessions, run by Freedom from Torture. I played the role of the interpreter during role plays and gave the trainees the interpreter’s perspective on working in these settings:
- Using Interpreters in Psychological Settings, Lancaster University (April 2010)
- Working Therapeutically through Interpreters with Survivors of Torture, Touchstone IAPT Service, Leeds (May 2010)
- Working Therapeutically through Interpreters, Inclusion Matters, Psychological Therapies Services, Liverpool (Aug, Sept 2010)
SPACE GROUP, Briançon, Serre Chevalier, France
Interpreter and Translator to Finance Director6 - 20 Employees 2008 - 2008
Main duties included
• Interpreting for Finance Director at meetings with French banks and contractors
• Translation (financial, legal and general texts)
• Enabled Finance Director to communicate with French banks to secure funding for real estate developments
• Developed my communication, interpersonal and linguistic skills
International Management Trainee100+ Employees 2007 - 2008
Main duties included
• Marketed the Meltwater service to potential clients and carried out new B2B sales
• Promoted Meltwater to potential clients and exceeded financial targets
IMS Health Paris
Public Affair Executive (EMEA Region)100+ Employees 2004 - 2005
Main duties included
· Assisted with communication strategy and promotional material
· Coordinated events for European and international pharmaceutical industry
· Organised IMS involvement in international events
(Promoted IMS at agency fairs, designed invitations, liaised with suppliers)
University of Salford2006 - 2008
BA Hons French Studies
University of Manchester2002 - 2006
Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (Chartered Institute of Linguists)
BA Hons French Studies - First Class Honours
Clubs and Associations
Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (membership n°46295)
National Register of Public Service Interpreters (badge n˚15045)
Associate member of the Institute of Translation & Interpreting
Member of the North West Translators Network (NWTN)
Interests and Hobbies
When I am not spending precious family time with my children and husband, I enjoy playing netball, cooking, reading and swimming.