How would you know?
If you would like an easy-to-use, reliable predictor of an individual's suitability for a role in
your business, whether it be sales, administration, customer service or managerial, read
more below and contact Sim Goldblum at maxpotenti ltd. for a no obligation conversation!
We have helped many businesses address challenges in the areas of recruitment, team
creation and development and reducing people turnover.
Our observations into those challenges can be summarised into the following:
- The business’ leadership does not demonstrate a clear vision of its future direction, does not ensure that all members of the team understand and behave in line with the vision and is unclear as to the sort of behaviours that are required - staff are therefore unsure as to what is required of them and the "career" becomes a "job".
- When a vacancy occurs, management is not clear as to what speciﬁc role is to be recruited. When a team member leaves, should they automatically be replaced? All alternatives should be considered, ranging from no replacement to a full restructuring of the team to meet the further direction of the business more effectively
- The recruitment process is haphazard, relying either on networking (I met someone at an event last night) or we'll hire the ﬁrst one who can breathe and is available - usually a recipe for disaster!
- Interviews are unstructured, generalised and lack accurate probing of the candidate's true behaviour, style and background.
- Induction is unplanned, brief at best and not tailored to the individual's learning style, leading to a rapid tail-off in the new person's commitment to the practice.
- In-post training and development is unstructured and often regarded as a poor investment, with little implementation of personal development plans to meet the real needs of the individual.
Even if your business avoids all of the above pitfalls, it is challenging to separate a
candidate’s “experience” - skills, aptitude and habits learned in good/not-so-good
companies - from their attitudes and behaviours. Even more, many “personality proﬁles” or
assessments are not work-related and while a useful addition to the armoury, will not give
the business leader or HR Manager the comparative behavioural proﬁle for your
If the benchmarked proﬁle for a role has 10 essential traits, including for example - precise,
helpful, takes initiative, analytical, organised and systematic - how would you evaluate a
group of candidates?
How would you decide how a less experienced candidate would/should fare when
compared to one with more experience?
If those are some of the traits required for a successful role, how would those for a
customer service differ, or an operational or administrative manager?
Would they be different for an SME compared to a micro-business?
Would you be able to develop a training/coaching programme for your people, if you and
they could agree on a current state, compared to a preferred state, without using technical
Would your team beneﬁt from recognising in a non-biased way, why they are not
performing as well as they could?
Contact Sim Goldblum to learn how you can remove uncertainty from your people selection process, improve your team performance and provide them with the personalised development and growth opportunities that they need.
maxpotenti was established by Sim Goldblum, an experienced businessman, trainer and educator,
to help businesses make the most of their people and their businesses. Sim has a deep
understanding of how businesses, large and small, function effectively, as a result of
many years working for Ford of Europe, ultimately as Director of Product Planning, and as Director
of Business Development.
Sim put much of that experience into play as a board member of several companies, and as a
Non-executive Director of a large NHS Hospital Trust, helping the Trust to achieve Foundation
Sim has used those same skills in the dental sector, and ﬁnds it deeply satisfying to see the
personal and business transformations that take place as a result of the unique university
accredited education and training courses that he has led, as well as through his consultancy with
Now, as a Solutions Partner for Harrison Assessment Talent Solutions, Sim can provide
businesses with the tools to recruit, develop and retain the right people; he can provide accredited
ﬂexible leadership style training to management teams. and provide advice and access to business growth and ﬁnance to ensure long-term growth can be maintained